Skip to main content

Woodkid

Since I have already introduced Woodkid to you, I'll add a few more lives and audio files.

For those who do not know, Woodkid (or his real name Yoann Lemoine) is a French music video director, graphic designer and singer-songwriter. He directed for Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, LAna del Ray and Mystery Jets from what wikipedia tells me.

But above anything else, I believe that his take on art is yet to take over the world. This man has a way of using drums in his music that makes his songs sound as if nature itself whispered into his ear. They are rough around the edges yet melancholic and simply amazing. The messages he transmits are spot on and I love that he works with orchestras. I'd love to go to one of his lives. When I close my eyes, I'm thrown into an empty, lifeless place, really an aftermath of all the pollution and excesses and his music rises from everywhere, giving me courage to go on and create. I listen to his songs a lot when I write, no matter if it's for my own work or homework.

If I were to personify his music, I'd say it's like the beating heart inside Earth. But of course this is just my opinion.

From what I have read, he received the award for best stage performer at the French equivalent of the Grammy Awards, Les Victoires de la Musique. That's one of the reasons I'd love to see him performing live: there's a lot of work behind those amazing scenes and let's not forget his songs are played live by an orchestra which makes everything so much better.

There are definitely facts that show just how much of a jewel he is as an artist:

In 2014, Woodkid worked as creative director for Pharrell Williams' 24 Hours of Happy music video concept, seen more than 600 million times on YouTube.

He also served as creative director of the video campaign for John Legend's album Love in the Future, produced by Kanye West, including videos for Who Do We Think We Are, directed by Paul Gore and Made to Love, directed by Daniel Sannwald.

In April 2014, Woodkid performed at Coachella.

On June 26, 2014, Woodkid opened the Montreal International Jazz Festival with a free outdoor concert to an audience of 100,000+.

In July 2014, Ubisoft released its second cinematic trailer for Assassin's Creed Unity, where "The Golden Age" was played.

In August 2014, Woodkid performed at the FM4 Frequency Festival in Austria.

In December 2014, Woodkid performed at Wonderfruit in Thailand.

He also directed Pharrell Williams's Coachella show, featuring Jay Z, Gwen Stefani, Usher, Pusha T, Busta Rhymes, and Puff Daddy.

The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps featured "Run Boy Run" as part of their 2015 repertoire, entitled "Game On".

On July 15, 2016, Woodkid performed at the Montreux Jazz Festival at a special "Woodkid and Friends" evening with a nearly all acoustic set. He was accompanied by the Sinfonietta de Lausanne orchestra and a choir of children from the Montreux Choral Festival. Among his friends who also performed at this event were Son Lux, The Shoes, Ed Droste, Thomas Bloch, and actress Elle Fanning singing for the first time live on a stage.

On September 16, 2016, Woodkid promoted Mykki Blanco's debut album on his Facebook page. He is featured on the single "High School Never Ends" and helped producing the album.

In March 2017 the second episode of 13 Reasons Why features "Run Boy Run".

And I'm sure there's more to come be it through music or visual arts. Let's just take a moment of our busy lives and listen. You'd be surprised how many things would be accomplished if we'd just listen more than speak.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new beginning, style and face

Hello! Welcome to my newest blog, imagine an alternative where I will post music that inspires me to write (and hopefully will help you too) but also what I have been writing on lately. From my originals pieces to fan fictions, I hope I'll get to inspire someone out there. I'll start by showing you a duet that's been haunting me for the past few weeks between one of my favorites artists- Woodkid- and an artist I recently discovered -Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear.

Introduction

It was the beginning of an amazing June 1st, Children’s Day. For the first time ever, ice cream trucks decided to gather in one square in Essex and gift children with whatever flavor they wanted. “Here, one mint with chocolate chips for you,” the vendor smiled kindly at the child in front of him. The girl took it with bright eager eyes, to her mother’s enjoyment. “What do you say, Zoe?” the elder woman asked, placing a warm hand over the girl’s back. Zoe stared for a bit at the ice cream, watching it melt on a corner. The light push from her mother urged her to look up at the vendor and mumble a faint  thank you . As they walked away from the truck and towards a bench for the girl to eat her dessert, Zoe caught glimpse of another child crying. He wasn’t very far thus Zoe could see it was a boy about her age that had a bowl cut hairstyle. He was dressed in a red t-shirt, yellow pants and no shoes, which drew her attention immediately. “Mummy, why is that boy crying? Di